Podcast – Veterans Transitioning Back Into the Workforce
Welcome to Episode Six of the LIONs DEN: Conversations around a 21st Century approach to management and talent. In the sixth episode, we speak with two veterans of the armed forces, who have recently had to transition back into the corporate workforce. In our conversation today, we discuss how organizations can make this process smoother and more beneficial for both sides.
Discussion guide for today’s show with veterans Grady Brain and Sean Bode:
1. How big of an actual problem do veterans have in transitioning back into the workforce?
2. Sean and Grady walk through the different types of servicemen, from officers to enlisted, and the various paths they each take through the military and into the business world.
3. What are the basic challenges that veterans face when they transition into the workforce? Not speaking corporate business language, for one example. Second, veterans come from a life of service, and it’s hard when they transition into an organization that seems aimless and without a mission and purpose.
4. We discuss how organizations address issues like this…and we hear from our two veterans how they would advise organizations to integrate veterans. “A three-part transition…” [Sourcing, onboarding, culture]
5. When all of this is done the right way, retention is improved. A lot of veterans leave their first job too soon…
6. Sean mentioned onboarding, and we discuss if that process should be different with regards to veterans…
7. Are there any organizations that are doing it right that we can learn from?
8. Brady and Sean both share career advice to transitioning veterans to make this process easier (expand your network, stay positive, prepare better).